Insulate your walls to improve your comfort and reduce energy waste - it's like putting a sweater on your home!
Why You Should Do It
Making sure your walls have sufficient insulation has all sorts of benefits - reduces air leaks, increases your comfort and reduces energy waste. If your walls don't have any insulation, the reduction in your heating costs could pay for your investment in as little as 5 years! Your family will thank you.
What It Costs
The cost of wall insulation will depend on several factors: what kind of siding you have, how much insulation you need and what kind. For a project like this you'll need a contractor to come out, test your insulation levels and give you a bid.
How to Do It
- Select “Add to My Challenge” and pledge to insulate your walls.
- Do you know if you have any insulation? If you're not sure what's in your walls, best first step will be to get an energy audit. An auditor can often provide an infrared camera which can take pictures of the heat leaving your home - and help identify walls that need more insulation. Contact your utility for more information.
- If you are doing the work yourself, use a resource like the Family Handyman: Save Energy, Save Money guidebook to make sure you know the proper proceedures and have the right resources.
- Otherwise, find a contractor and schedule a time for them to come over to measure your walls and give you a bid.
- Need financing? Check out the low-interest energy efficiency financing from local nonprofit Center for Energy and Environment.
- Congratulate yourself on making your home more comfortable, saving energy and money, and making a difference for Minnesota!