Recycle the basics – newspapers bottles and cans – to reduce your home’s environmental impact and keep usable materials out of landfills.
Why You Should Do It
It's just so easy! Recycled materials produce less pollution than mining and processing new materials, so just by placing your paper, cans and plastic in a different can, you make a difference.
What It Costs
Free! Well, okay, you may want to buy a bin or two to sort your recyclables– but other than that, it’s free!
How to Do It
- Select “Add to My Challenge” and pledge to recycle the basics – newspaper, bottles and cans.
- Create an area for recycling with bins or paper bags.
- Find out who your recycling provider is – it’s often the same company that takes away your trash.
- Check with your provide to see how and if recycling should be sorted.
- Make sure to put your recycling out on time!
- Congratulate yourself on a job well done - saving energy and money, and making a difference for Minnesota!
Make It a Family Activity
Play the Recycling Game – Hold up different pieces of “trash” and ask kids whether it’s recyclable, compostable or trash!
Rewards for Recycling - Make taking out the recycling a chore like taking out the trash – and reward whoever gets it to the curb on time.